[Debtags-devel] Re: First packaging issue for the new comaintainance team

Enrico Zini enrico at enricozini.org
Mon Sep 12 21:59:28 UTC 2005

On Mon, Sep 12, 2005 at 08:34:29PM +0200, Torsten Marek wrote:

> I'd prefer the package split over changing soname over and over again and
> introducing new packages every week. However, we have to rebuild all depending
> packages for every new version, but this holds true for both solutions. Either
> the library soname has changed or the new static PIC has to be linked in. In
> both cases, the source of the depending packages might have to be changed
> anyway. How many packages/maintainers are we speaking of? Are all the
> maintainers reading that list? The language bindings are maintained by us as
> well, aren't they?

We're talking of two packages only: packagesearch and adept.

packagesearch is made by Benjamin Mesing, who follows this list.
adept is made by Peter "Mornfall" Rockai, who's the main libapt-front
author and follows this list.

Language bindings are not existing anymore after the merge with
libapt-front and will need to be redone; hopefully, by people who read
this list :)

So, yeah, things seem to be easy.  Having the -dev,-pic versions also
means that packages already installed on users' machines will continue
to work because they're linked statically.

In the meantime, Mornfall created a cdbs class that does the double
build.  It should work for libapt-front; I don't know if it works for
tagcoll since tagcoll would also create the tagcoll package and not just
static libraries.

GPG key: 1024D/797EBFAB 2000-12-05 Enrico Zini <enrico at enricozini.org>