Please support experimental in the web tagger

Enrico Zini enrico at enricozini.org
Sat Dec 2 23:15:46 CET 2006

On Tue, Nov 28, 2006 at 10:04:37AM +0100, Benjamin Mesing wrote:

> Perhaps a field in the Package Control file that lists the tags and is
> parsed upon upload would be in order?
> I remember this idea has been floating around for some time, and Enrico
> wrote some kind of prototype for such a mechanism [1]. Enrico, could you
> comment on the state of that?

It's still working: you add an empty "Tag:" header in debian/control for
every binary package you want to control the tags yourself, then run
debtags-updatecontrol and it will guide you with syncing with the
unreviewed tags from Alioth.

On the other side, I have a script that will dig all those Tag: headers
and automatically pull them in the reviewed tag database.

This allows maintainers who want to control their tags to do it, and the
others get the service from debtags for free.

It was an interesting method when I had big trouble reviewing changes:
that way a maintainer could take care of the review him/herself and get
their tags into the distro.

Now that I get them correlated by bunch of submission from the same
person, and it's easier for me to do approvals, that is less of an
issue.  To the point that I'm still wondering if I should advertise the
"Tag:" header or not.

GPG key: 1024D/797EBFAB 2000-12-05 Enrico Zini <enrico at debian.org>