Please support experimental in the web tagger

Andrea Bolognani eof at kiyuko.org
Mon Dec 4 17:02:27 CET 2006

On Sat, 2 Dec 2006 22:15:46 +0000
Enrico Zini <enrico at enricozini.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 28, 2006 at 10:04:37AM +0100, Benjamin Mesing wrote:
>
> > Perhaps a field in the Package Control file that lists the tags and is
> > parsed upon upload would be in order?
> > I remember this idea has been floating around for some time, and Enrico
> > wrote some kind of prototype for such a mechanism [1]. Enrico, could you
> > comment on the state of that?

[...]
> Now that I get them correlated by bunch of submission from the same
> person, and it's easier for me to do approvals, that is less of an
> issue.  To the point that I'm still wondering if I should advertise the
> "Tag:" header or not.

I think maintainers should care about tags for their packages themselves, like
they actually care about the package description.

While tags are not fully integrated in the Debian infrastructure at the
moment, I expect tools like apt and p.d.o to have full support for tags one
day -- hopefully soon.

I hope mantaining tags will become part of the normal Debian workflow, and
that's why I think not allowing maintainers to declare package tags in the
control file -- which is the right place to put them IMHO -- is a bad move.

--
KiyuKo <eof AT kiyuko DOT org>
"Like Russian Rulette with six bullets loaded"