Added tag uitoolkit::xlib

Justin B Rye jbr at edlug.org.uk
Sun Dec 3 22:16:49 CET 2006

Enrico Zini wrote:
>>> Tag: uitoolkit::xlib
>> Now things are getting insane, no offense :-)
>> We have four library tags already:
>>         Tag: devel::library
>>         Tag: role::devel-lib
>>         Tag: role::shared-lib
>>         Tag: x11::library
>
> AFAICT uitoolkit::xlib has nothing to do with the others, in that it
> means "Using the X library functions directly without a widget set on
> top".  It's just a method of creating windows and painting int hem.  In
> that sense, it's much more similar to uitoolkit::gtk than to
> devel::library.

Yes; packages tagged uitoolkit:: aren't libraries at all, so perhaps
they should get Descriptions that say things like "Xlib UI" rather
than "X library".

The "classic" use case for uitoolkit:: is "have you got an app like
this one but in ::gtk?"; the role:: tags are talking about different
kinds of dependency package.  The other two I'm not so keen on.

> To me those tags (except x11::library) are quite clear if you look at
> them in the context of their facet.

So what does devel::library mean?  It's either automatic for
role::shared-lib, or for role::devel-lib, or both, but I can't see
which, and either way, I'm not going to bother applying such a tag.

> I'm happy to take away x11::library, though: I don't know how much sense
> it makes.

There may well be libraries where the X-ishness is more or less the
only thing distinguishing it, but then again, its not clear whether
anyone would be doing such a search.
--
JBR
Ankh kak! (Ancient Egyptian blessing)