[proposal] Simplified junior tags & debtags-based replacement for metapackages

Ben Armstrong synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
Tue Feb 7 00:33:35 UTC 2006

In reviewing what's in debtags today for Debian Jr., I'm not entirely
happy with the tags and would like to propose the following:

- eliminate the junior::meta tags
- eliminate the junior::arcade and junior::games-gl tags as 'arcade' and
'games-gl' aren't useful subclassifications of 'junior'

- add junior::core for 'core' junior packages (the ones we consider to
be mature and 'best of breed')
- add junior::extra for 'extra' junior packages (everything else)
- add junior::early for children in early stages of development (not
fully developed reading/typing/mousing skills)

I think these three tags, in conjunction with the others, are sufficient
to classify any piece of software in Debian Jr. better even than my
metapackage classification.

How this would work in terms of installing Debian Jr.

1. The user decides if they want 'early', 'core' or 'extra'
2. The packages are selected on the basis of these tags

Conflicts:

When the Debian Jr. packages are installed, onflicts are resolved
through the normal conflict resolution process instead of by dependency
alternatives

For example Debian Jr. will tag 'emacs21' as junior::extra.  Since
emacs21 doesn't conflict with xemacs21, if a user installs all
junior::extra, emacs21 will be pulled in alongside the existing
xemacs21.  This is different from how junior-writing works.  Since
junior-writing depends on emacs21 | emacsen, any emacsen would satisfy
the dependency instead of emacs21.

Another example is found in junior-games-text.  Debian Jr. will tag
'moon-buggy' and 'moon-buggy-esd' both as junior::core.  Since they
conflict, the installer must perform conflict resolution to choose one
over the other.

If this is too cumbersome for the user, we might add some heuristics of
our own for choosing among alternatives.

So, let the discussion begin.

Ben