Redoing tasksel using debtags

Thaddeus H. Black t at b-tk.org
Fri Jan 27 20:51:53 UTC 2006

Enrico wrote:

> In short, the news is: all the data are in place to
> write a tasksel replacement using debtags.
>
> Ideas for making a better tasksel using debtags?

I think that you are right.  It is important that
debtags do this.

Question:  How would the hypothetical debtags-tasksel(8)
handle the case where two similarly tagged packages
provide alternatives?  Would it install both?  If so,
you avoid some potential political heat from fellow DDs,
but it gives the user a sloppy installation, somewhat
hurting debtags and Debian in the long run.

Besides, what if the two packages not only provide
alternatives, but actually conflict?

Erich's idea [1] seems pertinent here.

--
Thaddeus H. Black