vocabulary structure [programming language]

Enrico Zini enrico at enricozini.org
Wed Jun 28 11:20:33 UTC 2006

On Tue, Jun 27, 2006 at 09:57:39AM +0200, Peter Rockai wrote:

There are two main issues raised more or less clearly in this thread, so
I'll split my reply into two.

> So the language:: facet would go like "useful for coders in a given language".

Here the proposal seems to be to make a single facet for programming
language tags.  Here's a couple of ways in which these tags could be
used:

Use case:
  Enrico is looking for a C library for date manipulation that he can
  use in his DB-ALLe project.
Now:
  Enrico runs debtags search 'devel::library && devel::lang:c'
  then he sees if there is some that does what he wants.
After the proposal:
  Enrico runs debtags search 'devel::library && code::c'
  then he is puzzled at why python2.3-opengl is there.

Use case:
  Enrico didn't quite get how to do GTK programming with Perl and would
  like to see code examples.
Now:
  Enrico runs debtags search 'uitoolkit::gtk && made-of::lang:perl'
  then has a look at the source code of some of them.
After the proposal:
  Enrico runs debtags search 'uitoolkit::gtk && code::perl'
  then wonders why there is no perl gtk code in glade

So, I don't want this merge because I think that the two groups of tags
serve two distinct uses.

> PS: You may have noticed that i did a biggish description cleanup, so if i
> broke something please step up.

Thanks for the cleanup!  It's great to finally have an application that
shows tags by description instead of by name.  Finally the descriptions
make sense into the context into a real interface.  It's a big step!
Hooray!

Note: reading this thread was difficult and unpleasant for me.  I beg to
keep the discussion short and clear, and if possible focused on precise
examples.
--
GPG key: 1024D/797EBFAB 2000-12-05 Enrico Zini <enrico at debian.org>