Ways of presenting tags

Enrico Zini enrico at enricozini.org
Fri Jun 30 12:58:48 UTC 2006

Hello,

parallel to the discussion about the vocabulary, there should be a
discussion about ways of presenting tags to users.

I started collecting a list of known presentational methods here:

   http://wiki.debian.org/DebTags/Presentation

I did not understand how packagesearch actually presents tags.  It seems
to do something like hide the part of grouped tags before the ':', but
I'd be grateful to Benjamin if he can explain it in detail.

I notice that we start to have nice algorithms to compute "relevant"
sets of tags and present small and smart lists to the users.  That is
nice because it allows us to disconnect vocabulary discussion from
discussion about presentation even more.

For example, we are more free to create facets with lots of tags with
less fear of generating unwieldy interfaces, as long as overcrowded
facets are not presented as starting points for a search.

GPG key: 1024D/797EBFAB 2000-12-05 Enrico Zini <enrico at debian.org>