[proposal] Simplified junior tags & debtags-based replacement for metapackages

Enrico Zini enrico at enricozini.org
Sun Mar 26 11:42:51 UTC 2006

On Fri, Feb 24, 2006 at 07:32:50AM -0400, Ben Armstrong wrote:
> In fact, my idea for cdd::* tags can be implemented using an existing
> debtags aspect, "suite::" (described as "The package is related to a
> bigger group of packages").  In the case of chemtool, in addition to
> adding the new field:: tag, I would add suite::med:core.

There!  Suite is a *great* idea!

I finally managed to read this thread and I wasn't convinced of using
suite for two unrelated things, namely quality assessment and kind of
audience.  Then you suddenly and smartly mention suite, and everything
fits together.

You can, I think and propose, use suite:: to do the quality assessment,
as in:

  suite::debianjr:core
  suite::debianjr:extra

Then use the 'junior' facet to identify the target audience.

Incidentally, this gives yet another, and more interesting meaning, to
the suite:: facet: identifying a group of packages which constitutes a
project of its own: Gnome, KDE, Debian-Junior, Debian-Med, GNUStep,
rather than to messily group a package with its plugins (cfr. apache,
emacs, gkrellm).  That last one can really be done with Enhances: fields
or some other way.

Ben, please feel free to edit the vocabulary in svn.  If you don't have
commit access, let me know/post the patch in the list, and I'll add you.

GPG key: 1024D/797EBFAB 2000-12-05 Enrico Zini <enrico at debian.org>