[proposal] Simplified junior tags & debtags-based replacement for metapackages

Benjamin Mesing bensmail at gmx.net
Fri Mar 31 17:32:40 UTC 2006

Hello,

> How about changing the debtags "suite::" facet to "project::" - it
> works neatly for project::gnome, ::debian-med, etc.
I think the potential for misunderstanding is quite low, and not
critical. Thus I think we should stick with the existing solution here.

> (Can anyone suggest a way of promoting the use of Enhances:, other
> than by pelting people with wishlist bugreports?)
Hmm, it's mentioned in the policy. Perhaps adding it to the New
Maintainers Guide might help for new DDs (it's omitted in
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/maint-guide/ch-dreq.en.html "Apart
from Depends:, other relationship fields are Recommends:, Suggests:,
Pre-Depends:, Conflicts:, Provides:, and Replaces").
Otherwise I'd say its a matter of times it was already added. Once
people have seen a certain amount of packages with this field, people
are aware of it. So it needs a critical mass. I wasn't aware of it till
now.

Actually I am not sure if it can fulfil the same role as the suite
facet. Policy states:
        Enhances: This field is similar to Suggests but works in the
        opposite direction. It is used to declare that a package can
        enhance the functionality of another package.

This says that it has the same intensity like "Suggests". So a gkrellm
plugin should "Depend" on gkrellm, but not "Enhance" it since the
relation is stronger. In this regard enhances seems not very useful to
me, usually you would want "Depend" or "Recommend" instead. Perhaps
Policy needs to be fixed? At least it is pretty unclear.

Best regards

Ben