office::* facet proposal

Justin B Rye jbr at edlug.org.uk
Sat Nov 18 14:05:43 CET 2006

Enrico Zini wrote:
> I'll post a tentative set of tags here to collect some
> feedback, and especially, package names to go with it.  Then in a week
> or so I can throw it in the vocabulary and we can see where it wants to
> go.
>
>  Facet: office
>
>  Tag: office::business-finance

Maybe tinyerp-* ?

>  Tag: office::document-management
>
>  Tag: office::info-mangers

Trivial typo there; and in fact this and the previous one should
probably both be -management.  Er, but what's the difference?

Maybe gnue-*, especially -reports?  Or might database-related apps
like cldump/knoda count for this?

>  Tag: office::legal

Umm... dict-bouvier?  No, nothing.

>  Tag: office::personal-finance

gAcc, gnucash, grisbi, kmymoney2...  On a different tack, there are
stock-monitors like beancounter or smtm.

>  Tag: office::presentation

Quite a few, especially if you include both slideshow-displayers and
presentation-creating toolkits.  Random examples: mgp, texpower, and
openoffice.org-impress.

>  Tag: office::project-management

kfocus, planner, various others.  Would time-trackers like gnotime
fit under this category?

>  Tag: office::sales-marketing

I'm drawing a blank.

>  Tag: office::schedule

Perhaps this should have the word "calendar" in it somewhere; they
seem to turn up as part of "groupware" suites like evolution or
phpgroupware, along with mail/collaboration features.  Maybe it
ought to be office::groupware?

>  Tag: office::spreadsheet

Okay, gnumeric, kspread, oleo, sc... do we already have/want
office::wordprocessor and office::{chart,diagram,image}-editor?

>  Tag: office::suite

Would this tag belong on individual packages that claim to
constitute an entire suite in their own right?
--
JBR
Ankh kak! (Ancient Egyptian blessing)