New tag proposals from iterating.org (1/2)

Justin B Rye jbr at edlug.org.uk
Sun Nov 19 17:16:46 CET 2006

Enrico Zini wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 18, 2006 at 01:09:34PM +0000, Justin B Rye wrote:
> > Does "communication" sound better when you consider the alternative of
> > "telecommunications"?
>
> Eh.  Telecommunications would be the perfect word.  t16n?

Problems:
1) a quick survey (yes, that wasn't a night out, that was fieldwork)
	says it's associated mainly with Telecom (=phone) companies,
	secondarily with telecommunications satellites (=radio), and
	hardly at all with e-mail etc;
2) it excludes local communications via "talk" and "wall";
3) and of course it's sesquipedalian.

Another option is "messages::".  But that fails for realtime modes
such as VoIP or IRC.

My "comms::" is a Britishism, and even here it's strongly associated
with military slang.

If we want this facet I think we're stuck with communications::.
--
JBR
Ankh kak! (Ancient Egyptian blessing)