Web editor improvements, and added tips page

Justin B Rye jbr at edlug.org.uk
Fri Nov 24 20:59:58 CET 2006

Enrico Zini wrote:
> I also tried to tidy up the interface of the web editor as much as I
> could, but I have mixed feelings about it.  Help me out: make a draft
> HTML-only prototype of how the interface could be improved, and send it
> to the list.

Um... "http://debtags.alioth.debian.org/edit.html" now seems not to
work in mozilla/mozilla-firefox on any of my Stable machines.  I
just see a title, a navigation header... and a navigation footer.
>From Testing firefox, I see a working editor interface.
Unfortunately, I won't be able to dist-upgrade my desktop machine
immediately (I was planning to, but I've got hardware problems to
fix first).  Still, there's always X-forwarding.

The main thing I've been wishing for is that when the new, tagless
gfoo-5.1 is essentially identical to the old, thoroughly tagged
gfoo-5.0, it would be handy to be able to clone tagsets... handy for
Ph-F-F-Iceweasel.

Both in that situation and others, I often find myself wanting to
know what a package's "neighbours" are.  The Suggested Tags mode
is impressively good at finding tags from its neighbours in
"debtags-cloud-space"; and I can find a package's neighbours in
"apt-dependency-space" (required libraries, etc) with a bit of work
if I follow the links to the PTS; but it seems to be impossible to
get from, say, xfonts-bar to its neighbours in "dpkg-list-space"
like xfonts-foo and xfonts-baz.
--
JBR
Ankh kak! (Ancient Egyptian blessing)