role and devel tags for -dbg packages

Stephen Gran sgran at debian.org
Thu Jan 4 15:06:57 CET 2007

This one time, at band camp, Benjamin Mesing said:
> Hello,
>
> > I maintain a couple of packages that produce -dbg binary packages
> > (stripped debugging symbols only, in case anyone is unfamiliar with
> > them).  I notice that right now there is no role:: or devel:: tag for
> > these sorts of packages, so I have temproarily tagged both as todo.
>
> Currently there is the "devel::debugger" tag which is currently intented
> for that kind of packages. The tag-name is misleading, though the short
> description says it right: "Debugging". I recently suggested to rename
> the tag to devel::debugging.
>
> I believe there is consensus to use this tag for -dbg packages. Current
> pracitce does reflect this (try "debtags search devel::debugger").

OK, fair enough - my first impression on seeing that tag was that it was
for things like gdb.  Perhaps your suggestion is a good one.

> Regarding a role:: tag, I believe the most appropriate one is
> currently ::devel-lib. Do we need another tag here?

My first impression on seeing that tag was that it was for things like
libfoo-dev (containing the headers, static library, .so symlink, etc.).
Maybe the problem is that the documentation for the various tags is
incomplete?  As I said, though, I'm not particularly active around
debtags, so this is all first impression, and not borne of any real
research.

Thanks,
|  : :' :                                        sgran at debian.org |