localisation for debtags

Holger Levsen holger at layer-acht.org
Wed Nov 21 08:41:53 UTC 2007

Hi,

yesterday I had some chats about how to install packages best (for novice
users, for people dealing with the commandline the answer is easy: aptitude).

LinEx developed aptlinex, a extension for firefox to install packages, by
clicking on a link, apt://package.

The source package is at
http://apt.linex.org/linex2006/dists/cl/gnulinex/source/aptlinex_0.8-2.dsc and
screenshots can be seen http://gambas.gnulinex.org/linexapt/

It's written with gambas, so the interface will be rendered in gtk or qt,
depending on the toolkit the user runs. Also it's quite possible to extend to
konqueror and opera.

What's missing are those links on debtags.alioth.debian.org or on
packages.debian.org. Important for Linex, packages.d.o now is localized, but
the debtags cloud is not yet.

The conversation below I had with Enrico and I originally planed to only send
it to José, as he is working on Linex. Just then, I decided it's a good idea
to send this to these lists, so that other people also can get involved.

15:36 < h01ger> enrico, do you plan to provide localized versions of
http://debtags.alioth.debian.org/cloud ?
15:37 < h01ger> enrico, who is working on that cloud anyway?
15:40 < enrico> h01ger: erich schubert
15:41 < h01ger> enrico, any idea about l10n?
15:45 < enrico> h01ger: djpig created potfiles to translate the tag names,
that's half of the work done
15:45 < enrico> h01ger: now we need to see who's doing the other half :)
15:46 < h01ger> enrico, <itais> for the next linex version (2008) what I've
asked is a web site using the current package descriptions (that now are
being translated into every language, spanish included), with a search engine
using debtags
15:46 < h01ger> <itais> the results of any search should be shown to the user
with a link to install the package using aptlinex
15:48 < h01ger> enrico, i smell "synergy" ;)
15:51 < enrico> h01ger: indeed
15:52 < enrico> h01ger: they know where to find me
15:52 < enrico> (hopefully)
15:55 < h01ger> enrico, (where) is the cloud code available? it would be cool
if there was a link to it on its page, so people wanting to improve it, see
it
15:57 < enrico> h01ger: the code is in the html itself
15:57 < enrico> h01ger: also, svn://svn.debian.org/debtags/web/trunk/
15:58 < h01ger> thank you
15:58 < enrico> h01ger: in particular
svn://svn.debian.org/debtags/web/trunk/cloud
15:58 < enrico> h01ger: the data is generated using the 'debtags daemon' that
powers the debtags website: svn://svn.debian.org/debtags/daemon
15:58 < enrico> h01ger: but you don't need that daemon for anything except the
debtags website
15:59 < enrico> h01ger: the point of the daemon is to speed up handling a
continuously changing tag set: in any other case, the tag set changes only
during package file updates
16:00 < enrico> h01ger: the data for the tag cloud can easily be generated
using simple scripts.  I can help if needed
16:00 < enrico> h01ger: (simple scripts using, for example, debtags.py in
python-debian)
16:00 < h01ger> enrico, where are the pot files?
16:01 < enrico> h01ger:
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/debtags-devel/2007-October/001714.html
16:01 < h01ger> enrico, i'll forward this whole conversation... :)

regards,
	Holger