AGPL and Debian

Miriam Ruiz miriam at debian.org
Tue Dec 2 18:30:54 UTC 2008

2008/12/2 Florian Weimer <fw at deneb.enyo.de>:

> Resource requirements have not traditionally been considered factors
> in judging software freeness.
>
> But you are right that the AGPL (and perhaps the GPL version 3 as
> well) fail my personal test for DRM-ness: A feature which, once added,
> cannot be legally removed, is DRM.  However, I don't believe in adding
> random checks to the DFSG, so this is rather pointless. 8-/

We should somehow tag those conflictive licenses with debtags, so that
users can filter out the ones they don't wont easily. I don't object
to having AGPL in Debian, but I don't plan to install anything under
that license in my system, and AFAIK there are other people in the
same situation as I. This wouldn't hurt those who consider if free,
but at the same time would allow us to filter them out easily.

The debtags could be implemented as an addon, and not added by default
to the base debtags vocabulary.

Greetings,
Miry