volunteers wanted for driving/finalizing a DEP on debian/copyright format

Stefano Zacchiroli zack at debian.org
Tue Dec 2 20:46:29 UTC 2008

[ M-F-T set to -devel ]

On Tue, Dec 02, 2008 at 07:30:54PM +0100, Miriam Ruiz wrote:
> We should somehow tag those conflictive licenses with debtags, so that
> users can filter out the ones they don't wont easily. I don't object

Except that debtags are right now for binary packages, whereas
copyright is for source packages.

Moreover, copyright is something already coded (and correctly "fixed")
in debian/copyright.

The solution to your problem already exists (actually, it has been
*designed* for that): http://wiki.debian.org/Proposals/CopyrightFormat
, it "just" needs someone with the energy of finalizing the proposal
(most likely via a DEP), so that is stops being an ever changing wiki
page.

Debtags is super-cool, but it is not the answer to everything.

Cheers.