game::nonviolent

Ethan ethan.glasser.camp at gmail.com
Sun Jan 13 21:03:02 UTC 2008

On Jan 13, 2008 6:40 AM, Daniel Brumbaugh Keeney
<devi.webmaster at gmail.com> wrote:
> The appropriate organization for the faceted
> system would be to create a new facet like 'rating' and make
> 'nonviolent' a subcategory. That, unfortunately, sounds like quite a
> categorical undertaking.

Are there other packages in Debian that need ratings? Because in that
case, rating::contains-violence could dovetail with other ratings
tags. However, I can't think of many other packages that contain
objectionable material. There are a number of written texts in the
"doc" section, but except for maybe the Anarchist FAQ, the Jargon
File, the Nethack Spoilers, and the book Copyright Does Not Exist, I
can't imagine any of them needing this kind of "rating".

fortunes-off is potentially objectionable, and some of the ones in
vanilla fortunes probably are too, but both of these programs are in
section: games already.

I find the concept of a "nonviolent" tag more appealing than a
"violent" tag (as in rating::contains-violence) because this way the
default is "offensive", rather than someone downloading Doom just
because someone forgot to put a tag on it. However, if the vast
majority of packages in the Debian system are unoffensive, then a
nonviolent tag would just be noise for most packages. I don't think
every package in Debian needs to be rated, in other words, so I think
a "rating" facet would be overkill.

I think an "energy" facet is fine for the concept of "nonviolent", if
you accept that one plays a nonviolent game differently from how one
plays a violent game, and especially since games are the main subject
for this tag, although I do admit it's a bit weird. Alternately,
perhaps it could fit in junior::, since most people looking for
nonviolent games are doing so in order to protect the minds of younger
users.

> It should represent a clear, atomic concept
> It should have a facet to fit in
> There should be more than 6 or 7 packages in Debian that can make use of it

The concept is: a game which does not contain graphical depictions of
violence. Here is a short list of three dozen packages which can make
use of it:

ace-of-penguins
adonthell
angrydd