Debian Open Rating System

Tue Sep 23 16:47:58 UTC 2008

On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 15:39, Miriam Ruiz <miriam at debian.org> wrote:

> I've more or less finished the taxonomy [1] for the rating system [2]
> for the games in Debian. Before starting to implement stuff on it, I'd
> like to have feedback on it, so if you're interested I'm really
> interested in your comments.

I think you need more options in the violence section. If you have
minor violence against humans and realistic optional violence
against animals which can be turned down to non-realistic, you
can't model that (I think?). The example is completely over the
top, of course. It's meant as an example, only.

Also, with violence, violent sex and gore, you cover three things
which are more or less the same.

To be blunt, I can't see this as a resource I am likely to use for
myself nor for my nieces and, at some time, kids though. Apart
from the recommended age, that is. That is potentially useful
imo, but hard to gauge.
I do _not_ want to discourage you or anyone else. I just think
as you asked for feedback, invested a lot of time & effort in the
list and will invest a lot more so negative feedback is potentially
useful for you, as well.

I would try to run the wiki page by the larger lists, perhaps
someone with a usability/rating background will see it and
chuck in, as well. Personally, I do not feel qualified to say if
the categories are well-chosen. I do _not_ feel qualified to
say if that is _not_ the case though, either.

I sincerely hope the latter paragraphs do not come across in
a bad way, that is _definitely_ not my intention. If they do,
please excuse me. English is not my primary language &
text lacks social clues like facial expression & intonation.

Richard

PS: I have been apt-get updating & looking for love daily
for some time, now. Any idea on the ETA? The webpage
looks very nice, good catch, I'd say :)