Debian Open Rating System

Miriam Ruiz miriam at debian.org
Tue Sep 23 19:17:48 UTC 2008

> On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 15:39, Miriam Ruiz <miriam at debian.org> wrote:
>
>> I've more or less finished the taxonomy [1] for the rating system [2]
>> for the games in Debian. Before starting to implement stuff on it, I'd
>> like to have feedback on it, so if you're interested I'm really
>> interested in your comments.
>
> I think you need more options in the violence section. If you have
> minor violence against humans and realistic optional violence
> against animals which can be turned down to non-realistic, you
> can't model that (I think?). The example is completely over the
> top, of course. It's meant as an example, only.

No, some corner cases cannot be modelled, but it does not try to be a
replacement for the description of the game, nor for the parents to
blindly let their children play these games based only on this rating.
The main purpose is to ease their task, though, and be able to tell an
indicator of how they might like the game for their kids.

> Also, with violence, violent sex and gore, you cover three things
> which are more or less the same.

Depending on the point of view, violent sex might be somehow covered
by violence+sex, but I wanted to make the explicit difference
regarding violence not related to sex + not violence sex in comparison
with violent sex. Your comment makes a lot of sense though.

Gore is somehow different, it just refers to the visual images. You
can have a non-violent gore game in which you are a doctor and you
operate patients, and you can have a violent game with no blood, no
amputations and no gore stuff.

> To be blunt, I can't see this as a resource I am likely to use for
> myself nor for my nieces and, at some time, kids though. Apart
> from the recommended age, that is. That is potentially useful
> imo, but hard to gauge.

This is just the lower layer. GoPlay will have templates that classify
the games more easily, so parents don't need to know all this stuff,
but they can customize it if they want to, according to their personal
beliefs and their culture.

> I do _not_ want to discourage you or anyone else. I just think
> as you asked for feedback, invested a lot of time & effort in the
> list and will invest a lot more so negative feedback is potentially
> useful for you, as well.

Thanks, I prefer constructive criticism to a "It's great, go ahead!"
that, while it encourages me a lot when doing stuff, I cannot use it
for anything.

> I would try to run the wiki page by the larger lists, perhaps
> someone with a usability/rating background will see it and
> chuck in, as well. Personally, I do not feel qualified to say if
> the categories are well-chosen. I do _not_ feel qualified to
> say if that is _not_ the case though, either.
>
> I sincerely hope the latter paragraphs do not come across in
> a bad way, that is _definitely_ not my intention. If they do,
> please excuse me. English is not my primary language &
> text lacks social clues like facial expression & intonation.

Thanks for your comment :)

> Richard
>
> PS: I have been apt-get updating & looking for love daily
> for some time, now. Any idea on the ETA? The webpage
> looks very nice, good catch, I'd say :)

I really hoe it will get in main soon. I plan to do a blog entry in
Planet when it's in. Something like "we finally have love in Debian"
;)

It's in NEW queue right now, waiting for the green light from ftpmasters.

Greetings,
Miry