Refactoring the Debtags web interface

Ben Finney ben+debian at benfinney.id.au
Mon Feb 23 11:11:08 UTC 2009

Enrico Zini <enrico at enricozini.org> writes:

> On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 11:00:06AM +1100, Ben Finney wrote:
>
> > What of those that use an OpenID provider not on the whitelist? […
> > What of non-DDs who do not necessarily have an account on any of those
> > services […]?
>
> Fair enough, any OpenID server will probably do, as long as being
> authenticated doesn't automatically authorize any privileges.
>
> If Debian were an OpenID provider, then using the Debian OpenID
> could automatically give some authorization, like assuming that one
> is a DD. That could have been handy, but indeed not particularly
> needed.

To be clear:

I am very much in favour of an OpenID presented for each Debian
account, just as every DD gets a debian.org email address. They would,
as you say, be very handy for use as a Debian-specific identity if the
person wants to use it.

But I'm equally against *requiring* that anyone must use a specific
provider's OpenID for general use on Debian machines, just as we don't
require a debian.org email address be used for general Debian project
use.

--
 \     “We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that |
  `\      divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of |