Debtags and Blends tasks pages

Ben Armstrong synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
Wed Jan 28 13:47:59 UTC 2009

On Wed, 28 Jan 2009 14:43:13 +0100 (CET)
Andreas Tille <tillea at rki.de> wrote:
> IMHO metapackages are a simple, established and widely accepted technique
> which we can easily relay on.  I would prefer testing other things in
> parallel and see how they might work.  As long as we do not have
> something that has important advantages over metapackages while having
> no important drawback I'd like stick to established things.  Or did
> I missunderstood your mail?

As a technology I have no problem with metapackages.  It is, as you
say, proven, and the only "bug" that existed has been solved by
softening Depends to Recommends.  I was merely furthering my social
argument.  Who is best situated to decide which divisions make sense to
the users?  The developers, or the users themselves?

Ben
 ,-.  nSLUG    http://www.nslug.ns.ca   synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
 \`'  Debian   http://www.debian.org    synrg at debian.org