x11::xserver

Enrico Zini enrico at enricozini.org
Sun May 3 11:27:57 UTC 2009

On Sun, May 03, 2009 at 07:34:25AM +0200, Benjamin Mesing wrote:

> I am wondering what an x11::xserver is. Should xserver-xorg-video-* have
> this tag? Should xserver-xorg-input-*?
>
> Current state of tagging is inconsistent (e.g. -vesa has x11::xserver,
> -nv does not).

I'd say that x11::xserver is a package providing an X server, that is,
something that X clients can connect to.  I guess that covers whatever
gives us /usr/bin/X, xnest, xephyr and probably not many others.

The xserver-xorg-{video,input}* packages should probably have something
like x11::driver instead. If you think it's a good idea, I'll go on and
add it. Alternatively, we can do x11::xserver plus use::driver (and
maybe hardware::something).

For the long term, feedback is welcome on whether x11::* is actually
useful or not. I think, as a facet, it's quite well defined (taking the
rather exotic point of view of the X world); what I wonder is if it's
really any use except as a mental exercise.

GPG key: 1024D/797EBFAB 2000-12-05 Enrico Zini <enrico at debian.org>