[Debtorrent-devel] Fwd: BitTorrent Protocol Expansion (Google SoC)

Cameron Dale camrdale at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 01:46:11 UTC 2007

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Anthony Towns <aj at azure.humbug.org.au>
Date: Mar 26, 2007 10:57 PM
Subject: Re: BitTorrent Protocol Expansion (Google SoC)
To: Cameron Dale <camrdale at gmail.com>

On Mon, Mar 26, 2007 at 10:37:44PM -0700, Cameron Dale wrote:
> Are you suggesting that random people will use the same software for
> distributing their packages (i.e. setup their own tracker),

Well, their own swarm certainly, and their own seed. I wouldn't've
thought the tracker itself was such a big deal either way.

> Either way, my thoughts were that the big advantage was to Debian itself, and
> possibly the mirror sites. I hadn't considered the small developer. Are you
> aware of any good examples of where this is needed (debian-multimedia.org comes
> to mind).

Yes, me -- I'd love to be able to setup some test archives of my own
without having to worry about bandwidth becoming excessive or creating
a new mirror network or using lots more space in the real archive --
I live in Australia, so bandwidth costs stay close to mind. :)

Cheers,
aj