[Debtorrent-devel] Fwd: BitTorrent Protocol Expansion (Google SoC)

Cameron Dale camrdale at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 01:54:15 UTC 2007

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Anthony Towns <aj at azure.humbug.org.au>
Date: Apr 11, 2007 10:50 PM
Subject: Re: BitTorrent Protocol Expansion (Google SoC)
To: Cameron Dale <camrdale at gmail.com>

On Wed, Apr 11, 2007 at 08:40:44PM -0700, Cameron Dale wrote:
> >> Can't you just grab the data from http://popcon.debian.org/by_vote for
> >> sorting by popularity?
> I did this, and the results are better than the other strategies if
> you use inst (not vote). The numbers are still too large to consider
> though. I also redid it using my i386 server's configuration (fewer
> packages, only 938, size was about 400MB), and the wasted download
> doubled in size (now over 20% for 256 KB pieces). So there is strong
> dependence on the configuration (probably due to its size), and not in
> a good way. If you have a configuration you'd like me to try out let
> me know, but I think it's a moot point as this scheme seems
> unworkable. Back to variable sized pieces!

Good-o. There's actually another problem with cross-deb pieces, which is
that if one of the packages you didn't download entirely gets updated,
you can't share the package you did download because you'd need to be
sharing a piece that's half the updated package and half the package your
using, and while you have the latter, you've only got the old version
of the former.

> I see the project was accepted, which is great! Thanks again.

Yep. Not as many slots as we'd hoped, so even more reason to get all
the projects we got this year to kick butt :)

> I think the 2nd step is to get an Alioth project, partly so these
> emails can go somewhere useful (rather than into the ether ;) ).

Yup. Feel free to forward these mails somewhere public once you've found
somewhere, just for historical record.

> apt-bittorrent
> apt-torrent (probably not a good idea, due to this: http://sianka.free.fr/)
> deb-torrent
> apt-bt
> bt-mirror (last year's)
>
> The list goes on. Basically, any combination of apt, bittorrent,
> proxy, mirror, p2p, archive, etc...
>
> I don't really like p2p, as many associate it with stealing. I like
> the affiliation with apt, as it is intended to work primarily (only?)
> with it. I kind of like debtorrent, but I'm not sure why, I think
> because I envision distributing .dtorrent files, which I'm not sure
> we'll ever do.

How about "apt-tornado" given we're presumably going with the bittornado
codebase, and trying to make it usable by apt?

debtorrent sounds fine to me too; btmirror was a good name but this is
really a different implementation, so it's not completely sensible to
reuse it.

Cheers,
aj