[Debtorrent-devel] Fwd: BitTorrent Protocol Expansion (Google SoC)

Cameron Dale camrdale at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 01:54:40 UTC 2007

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Cameron Dale <camrdale at gmail.com>
Date: Apr 11, 2007 11:25 PM
Subject: Re: BitTorrent Protocol Expansion (Google SoC)
To: Anthony Towns <aj at azure.humbug.org.au>

On 4/11/07, Anthony Towns <aj at azure.humbug.org.au> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 11, 2007 at 08:40:44PM -0700, Cameron Dale wrote:
> > apt-bittorrent
> > apt-torrent (probably not a good idea, due to this: http://sianka.free.fr/)
> > deb-torrent
> > apt-bt
> > bt-mirror (last year's)
> >
> > The list goes on. Basically, any combination of apt, bittorrent,
> > proxy, mirror, p2p, archive, etc...
> >
> > I don't really like p2p, as many associate it with stealing. I like
> > the affiliation with apt, as it is intended to work primarily (only?)
> > with it. I kind of like debtorrent, but I'm not sure why, I think
> > because I envision distributing .dtorrent files, which I'm not sure
> > we'll ever do.
>
> How about "apt-tornado" given we're presumably going with the bittornado
> codebase, and trying to make it usable by apt?

I thought about that, but since many aren't aware of BitTornado we
wouldn't be able to play off the popularity of BitTorrent, which we
might want to do, or might not want to. There are some (dis)advantages
to name recognition, after all.

Maybe we should start by deciding if we want to play off the
BitTorrent name or not. Using it could add some validation/recognition
factor to the project, but could also lead to some confusion with
users thinking they can use any BitTorrent client to download
packages, or lumping us in with something that we're not really
anymore after the modifications.

> debtorrent sounds fine to me too; btmirror was a good name but this is
> really a different implementation, so it's not completely sensible to
> reuse it.

I like it to, but it doesn't really mean anything. We're not just
distributing .deb files, and the program can really be used by any
apt-based system (e.g. ubuntu) to supply an archive.

I just thought of a new one too: apt-share. That kind of simply
describes the program's intentions, i.e. sharing bandwidth with
others.

So, maybe debtorrent if we want the affiliation, and apt-share or
apt-pieces if we don't.

Cameron