Porting debtorrent to C/C++

Cameron Dale camrdale at gmail.com
Sat Jan 19 07:39:49 UTC 2008

On 1/18/08, Voker57 <voker57 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Do you have any plans on porting Debtorrent to C/C++?

Not currently. The current code is based on BitTornado, which is a
python bittorrent client. Given the complexity of bittorrent, it might
make more sense to try and make the same changes to an already
existing C/C++ bittorrent client. libtorrent comes to mind.

Anyway, creating another DebTorrent client that would be developed
alongside the "official" DebTorrent would also be possible, if
anyone's interested. Like bittorrent, the spec is available and not
much different from bittorrent's. It may be a little early, as the
spec will certainly be changing, but if someone wanted to start they
would have my full support (and any help I could provide).

> Python can't handle such a loads successfully IMHO.

I'm not sure that python is necessarily the issue, but as you just
sent a new message, I'll address that in a later reply.

Thanks,
Cameron