Porting debtorrent to C/C++

Cameron Dale camrdale at gmail.com
Sat Jan 19 07:45:07 UTC 2008

On 1/18/08, Bryan Quigley <gquigs at gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't know why python couldn't handle the "load" correctly, the original
> bit torrent is in python.
>
> Having said that I turned off debtorrent on my hardy box for now pending an
> unrelated idling bug[1], but before I got it uninstalled it I was nervous of
> the 122 Mb of ram it was taking up as this is a desktop system.
>
> According to Debtorrent's local web server it never actually connected to
> anything but 1 seeder.  Would that just be regular http?

That's right. At this point all seeders would be web seeds, so
providing only HTTP downloads. If you're running hardy, I would
suspect there are very few people (maybe only you) doing that. Also,
as hardy gets updated the torrents will change, so even if there are
others running hardy, it might be difficult to find them (usually only
if you're both up to date).

> And how is Debtorrent in Hardy if this bug still exists[2]?

That bug refers to the helper program, apt-transport-debtorrent, which
isn't in Hardy (though I'm thinking of uploading it anyway, since apt
doesn't seem like it will be fixed anytime soon). You can run
debtorrent fine without it, since DebTorrent only really needs python
to run.

> Also, as a side note I successfully used debtorrent as a cache server for
> several machines as a test. It definitely makes more sense to use debtorrent
> for an always on cache server as opposed to apt-cache.

That was the plan, though I never actually tested it much that way.
I'm glad to hear that it's working for you.

Thanks,
Cameron