Restructuring dehs code (was: [Dehs-devel] dehs welcome)

Filippo Giunchedi filippo@esaurito.net
Wed, 23 Mar 2005 15:48:46 +0100

On Wed, Mar 23, 2005 at 10:38:30AM -0300, Lucas Wall wrote:
> On 03/17/2005 04:16 PM, Bluefuture wrote:
>
> >- Lucas Wall
> >He wants cleanup and standardizing dehs in a new branch over svn. He
> >will announce it on this mailing list.
>
> Sorry about the delay, I've been quite busy these last few days. I'm now
> starting to get my usual free time back.
>
> The plan is to restructure the code into php clases (or function were
> appropiate). The initial step means no functional change, but the idea
> is to make the base code more clear and have some code that could be
> used over several scripts.

right, having a clear code base is important!
while we are at it: since dehs (now) is mostly static what about switching over
from php to python (from my POV python looks more appropriate, no
religious wars please :))

> Stefano also mentioned me that the database schema needs some review. He
> told me it lacks foreign keys, for example.

here I can be of little help since I'm no DB guru :)

> After this is complete my plan was to write a robot to handle some
> aspects of dehs using mail. The main idea is to write a script that
> would accept watch files as attachments and use then as if they had been
> extracted from a package. Dehs would keep track of the latest source
> (package and mail) and keep the newest one. This would allow anyone to
> help in maintaining dehs without being part of the main team or being
> the package maintainer.

this idea sounds really intriguing! nice!

filippo