[Demi-devel] Demi design thoughts

Andrew Pollock apollock@debian.org
Sat, 6 Mar 2004 18:51:40 +1000

Hi,

Sorry it's been a while. I've been finished full-time employment and
starting Uni (yes, that's backwards I know, but I like to do things
different...)

I've come up with a preliminary database schema for Demi, which I'll mail
shortly.

If you've been following debian-devel, you will have seen the religious
debate I managed to ignite regarding Perl vs Python (somehow C made it in
there as well). I didn't get a lot of constructive feedback, but my current
thoughts are:

1) I like PHP, however I want a codebase common between the web interface
and any shell scripts involved, and I'm not going to start writing shell
scripts in PHP, that's just wrong, so PHP loses for the web interface.

2) There's mod_perl and mod_python, so the web interface can ideally be in
either, and the shell scripts can be in the same, allowing for common code
between the web interface and any CLI or shell scripts involved.

3) libapt-pkg seems to have both Perl and Python libraries

So, it's down to Perl or Python (again). I know Perl, I don't know Python. I
need a good excuse to learn Python, so this could well be it methinks.

Anyone (all two of you) have any thoughts?

regards

Andrew