[Demi-devel] Break the silence...

Andrew Pollock apollock at debian.org
Sat Nov 12 22:31:27 UTC 2005

On Sat, Nov 12, 2005 at 08:26:04PM +0100, Leo Eraly wrote:
> Heya,
>
> > > I want to work more towards something ZLM (Zen Linux Management -
> > > Novell) alike. It's the old red carpet and currently has some nice
> > > features and a good design imo.
> > > http://www.novell.com/seminars/media/linux_management.pdf
> > >

> > The old code being my old PoC code or your old code?
>
> My code
>

> > The only reason I was keen on doing it over SSH was because it gave you
> > strong authentication and encryption for free. And it also meant you didn't
> > have to poke an extra port through your firewalls as you probably already
> > allowed SSH for management anyway.
> >
> > I'll have a read of the above URL.
>
> Great, the more input the better.
>
> http://leo.unstable.be/projects/versionner/images/demi-design1.png
>
> Has a design about what i have in mind right now.
> It has your idea about using ssh. I like that idea because the reasons you
> supply are secure and well considered.
>
> The reason why the interface is so important to me is that we sometimes
> have to give our customers the ability to check the status of the
> machines we manage for them.
> A good and useable interface which gives a simple yet accurate overview also
> determines the success of tools like these.

Yes definitely. I would like to also produce a Nagios plugin, so that there
would be some integration between Demi and Nagios. That way if clients are
already given access to a subset of Nagios for their monitored hosts, they
also see whether the host is up to date with respect to security updates.

regards

Andrew