mk-origtargz (Was: Problem with *.zip archives)

Andreas Tille tille at debian.org
Thu May 1 11:34:15 UTC 2014

Hi Joachim,

On Thu, May 01, 2014 at 12:40:39AM +0200, Joachim Breitner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am Mittwoch, den 30.04.2014, 22:52 +0200 schrieb Andreas Tille:
> > Well, I can survive with this - finally its a matter of taste.
> >
> > I did some tests in the last weeks.  Today I realised that the main
> > source dir is missing the appendinx "+dfsg" which is as far as I know
> > good packaging practice and was implemented in my original patch.  May
> > be this should be implemented again.
>
> I guess you are talking about the top-level directory of the archive
> contents? I’m not sure. I like to keep things simple and predictable,

Well, I have seen that habit in several get-orig-source targets and
considered it best practice.  If you *intentionally* droped this
"feature" it is perfectly fine for me.

> > Regarding origtargz:  I admit I have not understood how to use this.
> > Could you perhaps add an example in the end of the manpage?
>
> Use it like uscan, just with a tarball that you have obtained anywhere
> else. So the simplest case would be
>
> $ wget http://example.com/new-and-hot-release/with-weird-name.tar.gz
> $ mk-origtargz --package foo --version 0.1 with-weird-name.tar.gz
> # now you have a foo_0.1.orig.tar.gz file
>
> But if you never had the need to do that independent from uscan then you
> can of course ignore it.

I just thought that I could make use of it in a case when I had to
remove a file from an existing package with an existing tarball.  I just
wanted to make profit from the existing download without firing up uscan
to download from scratch.  I guess properly used mk-origtargz would have
been my friend to do so, but I failed to find the proper options.

Kind regards

       Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de