mk-origtargz (Was: Problem with *.zip archives)

Joachim Breitner nomeata at debian.org
Thu May 1 12:25:12 UTC 2014

Dear Andreas,

Am Donnerstag, den 01.05.2014, 13:34 +0200 schrieb Andreas Tille:
> > > I did some tests in the last weeks.  Today I realised that the main
> > > source dir is missing the appendinx "+dfsg" which is as far as I know
> > > good packaging practice and was implemented in my original patch.  May
> > > be this should be implemented again.
> >
> > I guess you are talking about the top-level directory of the archive
> > contents? I’m not sure. I like to keep things simple and predictable,
>
> Well, I have seen that habit in several get-orig-source targets and
> considered it best practice.  If you *intentionally* droped this
> "feature" it is perfectly fine for me.

It was intentional in the sense that I didn’t deem it important enough
to warrant the extra complexity, and I’d be reluctant to put it in
_unless_ our users (includes you, of course) are certain that they want
it.

> I just thought that I could make use of it in a case when I had to
> remove a file from an existing package with an existing tarball.  I just
> wanted to make profit from the existing download without firing up uscan
> to download from scratch.  I guess properly used mk-origtargz would have
> been my friend to do so, but I failed to find the proper options.

In that case, I believe that
$ cd foo-1.2.3/
$ vim debian/copyright # add files to Files-Excluded
$ mk-origtargz ../foo_1.2.3.orig.tar.gz
should do what you want, i.e. update the already existing file, removing
files now excluded.

Greetings,
Joachim

--