Excluded-Files feature reimplemented

Andreas Tille tille at debian.org
Tue May 20 17:10:01 UTC 2014

Hi Joachim,

I'm now extensively using your reimplementation of Files-Excluded.  I
agree that your principle of "least surprise" is reasonable and thus I'm
fine that the version of the tarball is not automatically appended by
the string '+dfsg' (as it was in my implementation).  However, good
packaging practices say that you should add something to a repackaged
tarball which reflects that there was a change to follow DFSG and I
personally do not think that it is a good idea to have two files with
the same name but different content (the original + the stripped
tarball).  Having two files with same name but different content does
not fit the "least surprise" principle in my eyes. :-)

So what would be your suggestion to solve this issue to get some
appendix to the version number.  I think editing each debian/watch
file an mangling names is a bit clumsy.

Any suggestion?

Kind regards

      Andreas.