Excluded-Files feature reimplemented

Joachim Breitner nomeata at debian.org
Tue May 20 21:56:09 UTC 2014

Hi,

Am Dienstag, den 20.05.2014, 19:10 +0200 schrieb Andreas Tille:
> I'm now extensively using your reimplementation of Files-Excluded.

Great, given that you do not extensively report bugs I take that works
reasonably well.

> I agree that your principle of "least surprise" is reasonable and thus I'm
> fine that the version of the tarball is not automatically appended by
> the string '+dfsg' (as it was in my implementation).  However, good
> packaging practices say that you should add something to a repackaged
> tarball which reflects that there was a change to follow DFSG and I
> personally do not think that it is a good idea to have two files with
> the same name but different content (the original + the stripped
> tarball).

In most cases, the filenames will be different, as upstream does not use
"_" and ".orig", though.

>  Having two files with same name but different content does
> not fit the "least surprise" principle in my eyes. :-)

True.

> So what would be your suggestion to solve this issue to get some
> appendix to the version number.  I think editing each debian/watch
> file an mangling names is a bit clumsy.

I don’t think its too bad, and at least its explicit, but I don’t use
that feature myself (yet).

Would it be less clumsy if you did not have to specify some specific sed
expression, but could rather had a simple way to flag uscan to „do the
usual and commonly accepted version mangling“? That would be more
declarative, less line-noisy and less for you to type.

Greetings,
Joachim

--
Joachim "nomeata" Breitner