[Dict-common-dev] Visibility of the dictionaries-common Policy

Rafael Laboissiere Rafael Laboissiere <laboissiere@psy.mpg.de>
Fri, 20 Dec 2002 09:18:24 +0100

* Agustín Martín Domingo <agmartin@aq.upm.es> [2002-12-19 20:03]:

> Yes, we probably should. I would like to remove the aspell stuff first
> from the policy document to avoid confusions in the future, but I am
> afraid I will not have much time to do that in the next two weeks. I still
> do not know what to do with the aspell code once new aspell is at some time
> uploaded. I think the only aspell package currently using the
> installdeb-aspell stuff is my aspell-gl-minimos package, so that part
> should not be a big problem. But I guess some thing will need to be done
> for the emacs stuff since we cancel the ispell.el pre-settings for
> languages and substitute them by our auto-generated ones.

I see.  The decision about what to do next is up to you, since I feel I
have somehow lost track of the project...

> Aspell manuals suggest that the best way to set aspell as spellchecker
> under emacs is to put
>
> (setq-default ispell-program-name "aspell")
>
> in the ~/.emacs file, but I am afraid that is read after all the lisp
> dict-common stuff is read. Otherwise some sort of
> emacsen-aspell-dicts.el file could be generated or one hardcoded added
> to the package and read if aspell selected.

This variable is defined in the file ispell.el, a modified version of which
is provided by the dictionaries-common package.  I thiunk we could easily
modifiy that file to check the value of the variable each time a ispell
process is created and act accordingly if it is "aspell".  By the way, there
are already some check for aspell being done in the code (at function
check-ispell-version):

      (setq status (call-process
                    ispell-program-name nil t nil
                    ;; aspell doesn't accept the -vv switch.
                    (let ((case-fold-search
                           (memq system-type '(ms-dos windows-nt)))
                          (speller
                           (file-name-nondirectory ispell-program-name)))
                      ;; Assume anything that isn't àspell'is Ispell.
                      (if (string-match "\\`aspell" speller) "-v" "-vv"))))

--
Rafael