[Dict-common-dev] Are we ready or dict-common migration?

Agustín Martín Domingo agmartin@aq.upm.es
Fri, 14 Jun 2002 20:44:18 +0200

Rafael Laboissiere wrote:

> However, I do not know how to select language variants (like pt_BR and
> pt_PT).  Of course, I can launch either:
>
>     $ LANGUAGE=pt_PT abiword
>
> or:
>
>     $ LANGUAGE=pt_BR abiword
>
> and the correct language will be selected [viz. "Portuguese (Portugal)" or
> "Portuguese "(Brazil)"], but the selected pwli file seems to be always
> pt-european-ispell.pwli.  Indeed, I cannot see how abiword could translate
> the language variant identification "PT" or "BR" into viz.
> "pt-european-ispell.pwli" or "pt-brazilian-ispell.pwli".
>
> Any clue?

Good news!!

Just after sending to you the previous message I tried to grep the
pspell sources and I think I got it.

The key is the /usr/share/pspell/region-to-spelling.map file, belonging
to the libpspell4 package. It currently has only

$ cat /usr/share/pspell/region-to-spelling.map
# Pspell region to spelling map file
# NOTE: language codes are in all lowercase
en_us american
en_gb british
en_ca canadian

That is why I succeded with both british and american. Adding

pt_br brazilian
pt_pt portuguese

to that file, things do work as expected. Kepping the words

astronomicamente
antenupcial

marked and toggling language between portuguese and brazilian in the
pop-up menu the wrong word toggles too.

Probably this worths a wish to upstream. With respect to us, pspell can
put a Debian specific file with entries for all ispell dicts known in
Debian (they will surely work for aspell too), or we can handle that
diverting that file, but it is simpler from the libpspell4 package.

Have a nice weekend,

Agustin

Agustin Martin Domingo, Dpto. de Fisica, ETS Arquitectura Madrid,
(U. Politecnica de Madrid)  tel: +34 91-336-6536, Fax: +34 91-336-6554,
email:agmartin@aq.upm.es, http://corbu.aq.upm.es/~agmartin/welcome.html