[Dict-common-dev] Including aspell pwli files in the dict-common policy?

Agustín Martín Domingo agmartin@aq.upm.es
Wed, 26 Jun 2002 16:55:51 +0200

Hi all,

Peter, I am cc'ing you because of your ITA on aspell. Domenico already
reads the dict-common-dev list.

I made some minor changes in the pwli files section of the dict-common
policy and thought about merging in that section the equivalent info and
requirements for aspell dictionaries. I did a first draft for that and
would like to know what the aspell people think about the draft itself
and about including it in the dict-common policy document.

Here goes the draft:

The pspell pwli files for ispell and aspell dictionaries

All ispell and aspell dictionary packages must provide the corresponding
pspell-ispell or pspell-aspell pwli file for each supplied dictionary.
That pwli file must be installed at /usr/share/pspell and named as

for ispell dictionaries and

for aspell dictionaries, where <language> is the two letter language
code, <spelling> is the particular spelling when the language has
multiple spellings in different parts of the world such as English and
<jargon> is any extra informations to distinguish the hash from other
ones with the same language and spelling. <language> is always required
while <spelling> and <jargon> not.

If the spelling is left out but the jargon is not, there needs to be two
dashes between the language and the jargon. For instance
de--medical-ispell.pwli

Each pwli file for a ispell dictionary contains exactly one line which
contains the full path of the main ispell hash, white space, then the
charset in the pspell way, e.g. iso8859-1, koi8-r. Currently allowed
values are iso8859-1 to iso8859-15, koi8-r and cp1252.

Each pwli file for an aspell wordlist should contain exactly one line
which contains the full path of the main aspell wordlist.

Agustin Martin Domingo, Dpto. de Fisica, ETS Arquitectura Madrid,
(U. Politecnica de Madrid)  tel: +34 91-336-6536, Fax: +34 91-336-6554,
email:agmartin@aq.upm.es, http://corbu.aq.upm.es/~agmartin/welcome.html