[Dict-common-dev] dictionary packaging

Agustin Martin agustin.martin at hispalinux.es
Wed Oct 1 13:51:01 UTC 2008

On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 10:51:22PM -0400, Mike McWay wrote:
> Hi I'm trying to follow your
> guide<http://dict-common.alioth.debian.org/dsdt-policy.html>to package
> a hunspell
> medical dictionary <http://www.e-medtools.com/Hunspel_openmedspel.html> for
> Ubuntu but I'm a little new to packaging. I've got everything installing to
> the right places, but I'm not getting the postinst and postrm scripts
> running correctly. (i.e. adding line to dictionary.lst)
>
> should they be within ~/debian/?
> also have mine as:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> set -e
> if [ "$1" = "configure" ]; then
>     update-openoffice-dicts
> fi

If you are using debhelper, installdeb-myspell should take of creating the
required debhelper snippets, which will be removed by dh_clean. No need to
explicitly add the debhelper snippets.

Otherwise you just need to put the required code in the postinst and postrm,
as for any other package not using debhelper.

> lastly, the dictionary is distributed as a single ".dic" file. Is the ".aff"
> file neccessary?
> OpenOffice seems to be crashing with this dictionary installed. I guess I'll
> consult the authors about that.

Looked at the .dic and, besides the leading word number, seems a plain
wordlist.

I guess you can try with an empty .aff file (such as one created with touch).
I expect this to be enough.

Replying to the dict-common-dev mailing list so there is more possible
feedback. Please reply there so this thread gets archived and can be of help
to others.

--
Agustin