[Dict-common-dev] {My, Hun}spell dicts and OOo hyphenations/thesauri transition

Agustin Martin agustin.martin at hispalinux.es
Wed Aug 19 22:33:58 UTC 2009

2009/8/19 Rene Engelhard <rene at debian.org>:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 05:52:32AM +0200, Agustin Martin wrote:
>> I think I have somewhere some code for dictionaries-common-dev to make
>> things easier. I just have to look for it.
>
> So are you going to do the update for STEP 1? Or should I do the minimalist
> things needed for it and the "make things easier" stuff should be done later?

The starting code for adding this feature to installdeb-myspell was
what I wrote
when we first spoke about this. I did some changes today to parse differently
the info file (for the future If I implement the symlinks stuff) and
to add the options.
I still need to test things better, so if everything works well I will
commit soon.
Original code was a bit messy, but seemed to work.

>> Having something like a --o2compat option in installdeb-myspell can be
>> useful. Default would initially be yes (so there is no need to
>> explicitly put it) and can be changed to no when needed (and only
>> explicitly enabled for backports).
>
> Please default to no. o2compat would involve /usr/share/myspell/dicts
> and the info file which we should get rid of - at latest when squeeze has
> a OOo3 so people running stable have a OOo3 there,

I currently have all the info file installation and compatibility
symlinks under the
control of the same o2compat option.

My intention was to initially have it enabled by default so only a
rebuild against
a newer dictionaries-common-dev is needed for the dicts packages.

In the very moment all apps point to the new locations, we can safely change
the default. That way just changing a line we get rid of info file
installation and
compatibility symlinks once packages are rebuilt. And this time is for real.
Option will still be available for backports, but will no longer be the default.

> Maintaining it until infinity makes no sense, ans just clobbers the file
> system for no reason (a /usr/share/myspell/dicts not used by anyone).

This will be only during the hopefully short transition time, so I do
not think is
a big problem.

>> I have been thinking about keeping something like the old myspell-info
>> format just to use it as a more complex files file, telling where to
>> install each file, and to generate some symlinks for openoffice use
>> (like es_AR -> es_ES for dicts), that were previously addressed from
>> the info file.
>
> That'd be nice, yes.

This is something I have to think about, considering that after the
transition is
done, installdeb-myspell use will be much smaller.

One more thing, currently mozilla look for dicts in the
myspell/hunspell location,
finding those in its list as well as all other representations of the
same dicts, so
there are some duplicated entries. Is some change expected about this in the
mozilla side?, or we do things as currently.

Regards,

--
Agustin