[Foo2zjs-maintainer] Introducing debconf

Steffen Joeris steffen.joeris at skolelinux.de
Sat Aug 4 08:04:14 UTC 2007

On Sat, 4 Aug 2007 07:53:54 am me at lucabedogni.it wrote:
> Hi mates
>     since I have some spare time, i decided to wrote a first revision of a
> debconf script for installing the firmware.
> It's based on debconf, and it's now present on the svn.
> It's a little bit raw i think, need more testing of course, and works only
> for Hp Lj 10xx (i don't have others printers to test it, but it won't work
> anyway :)).
>
> So, this is just and idea, if we want debconf, we can improve this
> scripts, and test it putting a new package in exprimental.
> If we don't want debconf, we can delete this files, but had to find
> another way to fix #419038.
Although I like the idea of easing the installation process a lot, I would
still object against it. The firmware blurb is non-free and if we want to got
hat way, we would need to say so in the debconf question. I am very much in
favour of providing a working getweb script (or maybe an own one) and
explaining the use in a manpage and in the README.Debian file.
Sorry for that.
By the way, it would be nice to know, if the current foo2zjs in experimental
is working, because I would like to update the current unstable version and
get something working into testing.

Cheers
Steffen