[Freefont-devel] Re: About the bug in freefonts

Panayotis Katsaloulis panayotis@panayotis.com
Mon, 22 Nov 2004 02:34:28 +0200

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 21:20:30 -0800, Josh Triplett <josh.trip@verizon.net> wrote:

>   In my opinion, the current fontforge behavior on
> that issue is a bug, and my "resolution" was a horrible hack. :)

Well, probably it was a "horrible hack", but it worked. The problem is
that (as is) it doesn't work any more. The thing is that I haven't
understood what is the source of this problem, because of lack of
knowledge. Can you please (even briefly) explain what is the problem
and how can it be corrected? Or how you had the idea of (temporarly)
solve this issue? Even if this is a "dirty hack", it's better than
nothing.

> Another note on freefonts, by the way: I found that the freemono font is
> not being marked as monospaced.  I managed to trace that issue to the
> commit that made combining characters zero-width-but-not-really;
> reverting that makes fontforge mark it as monospaced again.  That
> actually seems like the correct behavior.  However, I have also found
> that I cannot select FreeMono as my terminal font in Konsole, even with
> this change.  Fortunately, it is currently selected, so it still works
> here, but that really needs to be fixed.

Well, I know this issue but since I can not investigate it because of
the "known bug", I can go on and try to fix this issue (if I can).