[Freefont-devel] Re: About the bug in freefonts

Josh Triplett josh.trip@verizon.net
Fri, 19 Nov 2004 21:20:30 -0800

--------------enigDE63A68E0FC251FC7C1F946C

Panayotis Katsaloulis wrote:
> We are thinking of releasing another version of freefonts, with some
> additional bug fixes (mainly in the greek language). The problem is
> that *again* the size of the glyphs is doubled with no obvious reason.
> I tried to apply the patch, it applied with no errors, but the problem
> was not fixed. When I recreate the TTFs, again they are double the
> size.
>
> Since it was possible to resolve this issue once, it is also possible
> to resolve it twice ;-)
>
> Josh,  you have said that you'll try to contact the original fontforge
> author. Do you have any more news on this issue?  The fontforge
> package that is in (unstable) debian, still has the same problem.

My apologies if I implied that I was planning to contact the fontforge
author; I was under the impression that they were already notified of
the issue via the various Debian maintainers involved in these packages,
and felt that the current behavior was correct.  My apologies for the
misunderstanding.  If they have not already been contacted, they
definitely should be.  In my opinion, the current fontforge behavior on
that issue is a bug, and my "resolution" was a horrible hack. :)

Another note on freefonts, by the way: I found that the freemono font is
not being marked as monospaced.  I managed to trace that issue to the
commit that made combining characters zero-width-but-not-really;
reverting that makes fontforge mark it as monospaced again.  That
actually seems like the correct behavior.  However, I have also found
that I cannot select FreeMono as my terminal font in Konsole, even with
this change.  Fortunately, it is currently selected, so it still works
here, but that really needs to be fixed.

Thanks again for creating the freefonts.  I find them to be the
highest-quality fonts I have used, considering both Free fonts and the
proprietary fonts I once used when I still used proprietary systems.

- Josh Triplett