[Freewx-maint] Any plans for wxPython 4.0?

Scott Talbert swt at techie.net
Wed Jan 24 15:10:08 UTC 2018

On Wed, 24 Jan 2018, Philipp Huebner wrote:

> Am 24.01.2018 um 15:23 schrieb Scott Talbert:
>> On Wed, 24 Jan 2018, Philipp Huebner wrote:
>>
>>> (please keep me CC'ed)
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> are there any plans regarding wxPython 4.0 for Debian?
>>>
>>> It's needed for #888245.
>>
>> Yes, I am planning to package it (and have started work on it).
>> However, I'm waiting for the first official release of wxPython 4.0 in
>> order to submit the new package.  So far it is at RC stage.
>
> okay, sounds good!
>
> For me it would be helpful to have the 4.0 package sooner rather than
> later. Do you have it in a public VCS and/or are willing to share it
> with me?
>
> If you don't want the "rc-only" package to enter unstable/testing you
> could also just upload it to experimental.
>
> Let me know if you need sponsoring, granting dm privileges or whatever.

Okay, I was planning to just use the freewx git where current wxWidgets
and wxPython live, although I haven't run that by Olly yet.  Olly are you
okay with that?

Uploading to experimental sounds like a reasonable plan.  Let me clean up
the package a bit and then share it with you.

One blocker at the moment though - the version of sip that is currently in
unstable is broken and cannot build wxPython4.  I've already reported a
bug (#887564) about this, but there's now a new upstream release with the
fix, so perhaps I can pester the maintainer into fixing it.

Scott