[Freewx-maint] Migrating to GTK+3 packages

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Tue Mar 27 21:41:26 UTC 2018

We should think about how to start encouraging people to move across.

So far I've switched nautic (orphaned) and sffview, survex, therion
(which I maintain or co-maintain).

I have my eye on bochs (orphaned) and libalien-wxwidgets-perl/libwx-perl
(maintained by pkg-perl which I'm a member of - a very brief IRC
discussion indicates people are happy to try switching that).  I may
not get to those right away though.

I've also just filed a bug against boinc (which was using webview) but
don't have the bug number yet.

Scott: I see you've switch wxpython4.0.  Are you planning to do
wxpython3.0 too?

I guess we might get one or two switches from maintainers just noticing
the new packages, but I think we ought to more formally announce this
soon and start filing bugs against packages to encourage switching.

There are two main sources for the packages to address - one is to get
a transition tracker set up.  The other is running "dak rm" on the
ftp-master mirror machine to see what is broken by removing a package
from unstable (which you need to be a DD to do).  The two don't always
quite agree thanks to oddball packages with strange dependencies.

Cheers,
    Olly