[Freewx-maint] Migrating to GTK+3 packages

Scott Talbert swt at techie.net
Tue Mar 27 23:39:53 UTC 2018

On Tue, 27 Mar 2018, Olly Betts wrote:

> We should think about how to start encouraging people to move across.
>
> So far I've switched nautic (orphaned) and sffview, survex, therion
> (which I maintain or co-maintain).

Cool.  Any major problems so far?

> Scott: I see you've switch wxpython4.0.  Are you planning to do
> wxpython3.0 too?

Yes, I'll do wxpython3.0 too.  You might have to do the upload as I would
plan on bringing back the webview module.  I don't know if bringing an old
binary package back counts as NEW, but it might?

> I guess we might get one or two switches from maintainers just noticing
> the new packages, but I think we ought to more formally announce this
> soon and start filing bugs against packages to encourage switching.

What is the best way to formally announce?  Or are you assuming bug
filing would take care of that?

> There are two main sources for the packages to address - one is to get
> a transition tracker set up.  The other is running "dak rm" on the
> ftp-master mirror machine to see what is broken by removing a package
> from unstable (which you need to be a DD to do).  The two don't always
> quite agree thanks to oddball packages with strange dependencies.

'apt-cache rdepends' doesn't provide a correct list?  What do you think is
best?  I'm happy to help with filing bugs.

Scott