[Glibc-bsd-devel] ia64 donation for GNU/KFreeBSD

Nathan Hawkins utsl@quic.net
Wed, 1 Oct 2003 12:58:31 -0400

On Wed, Oct 01, 2003 at 05:11:05PM +0000, Robert Millan wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 01, 2003 at 10:50:17AM -0400, Nathan Hawkins wrote:
> > It might be worth noting that FreeBSD 5.0+ runs on ia64, so a port could
> > be possible if we had such a box. With jails, we can safely run the
> > repository and still do drastic development on the machine.
>
> Yes, that'd be the way to go. Although starting the ia64 port would take
> a while (Glibc lacks ia64-kfreebsd headers).

Probably true. But having more than one processor with this kernel might
help interest more glibc developers. I'd like to see the way the kernel
headers are being handled in glibc get fixed anyway. Maybe adding a
processor port or two would provide enough pain that someone will figure
out how to do it right.

Also, I can work on my freebsd packages without glibc. If I can get
time, that is. :(

	---Nathan