[Glibc-bsd-devel] ia64 donation for GNU/KFreeBSD

Robert Millan zeratul2@wanadoo.es
Thu, 2 Oct 2003 14:33:31 +0000

On Thu, Oct 02, 2003 at 05:44:06AM +0200, Guillem Jover wrote:
> [ Jordi, Robert's last mail was supposed to be CCed to you ]

oops. forgot it.

> > I believe we should run i386-kfreebsd-gnu on that box and use jails for
> > ia64 porting efforts as Nathan suggested.
>
> Hmmm I think Nathan was talking about using a native FreeBSD and a
> jailed ia64-kfreebsd-gnu on top.

Urg.. I have no experience with FreeBSD or interest to learn.

> ia64 cannot run ia32 code that I know.

The CPU ships with ia32 emulation IIRC.

> > The problem is that starting an ia64 port takes a lot of work. After
> > writing the ia64-kfreebsd Glibc headers we get to bootstrap Debian,
> > which is almost trivial but takes a really big lot of time (I enjoy
> > playing human buildd myself, but after bootstrapping Debian twice it
> > gets pretty scary ;)).
>
> Sure, but we can work together on this to speed things.

As for the headers I don't know, but the Debian bootstrap can't be easily
done in parallel work (every little task is dependant on the previous one).

> I will have, at uab.es but we can plug only one machine, to put another
> I would have to ask first.

Uhm.. IP Masq? ;)

> > and Jordi (CCed) likewise but for SinDominio's network.
>
> [ Hmmm, Bcc? I'll CC hime this time ;> ]
>
> I recall Jordi saying the data-center was in Barcelona ? Would be easy
> for Robert an me to reach.

Nice..

--
Robert Millan

"[..] but the delight and pride of Aule is in the deed of making, and in the
thing made, and neither in possession nor in his own mastery; wherefore he
gives and hoards not, and is free from care, passing ever on to some new work."

 -- J.R.R.T, Ainulindale (Silmarillion)