[Glibc-bsd-devel] ia64 donation for GNU/KFreeBSD

Guillem Jover guillem@debian.org
Thu, 2 Oct 2003 05:44:06 +0200

[ Jordi, Robert's last mail was supposed to be CCed to you ]

On Wed, Oct 01, 2003 at 10:57:45PM +0000, Robert Millan wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 01, 2003 at 10:16:05PM +0200, Guillem Jover wrote:
> > > That's very kind of you! Please could you tell us the estimated time
> > > for that?
> >
> > Bdale told me that we better waited two months to have a new ia64 model
> > that's going to be released soon.
>
> I need to say that again. Bdale, that's _really_ nice of you :)

Yes, I'm still shocked ! ;>

> > So as we don't have a working ia64 port
> > now, I think we can wait and polish the little issues on i386, to be
> > more prepared with the new arch.
>
> I believe we should run i386-kfreebsd-gnu on that box and use jails for
> ia64 porting efforts as Nathan suggested.

Hmmm I think Nathan was talking about using a native FreeBSD and a
jailed ia64-kfreebsd-gnu on top. ia64 cannot run ia32 code that I know.

> The problem is that starting an ia64 port takes a lot of work. After
> writing the ia64-kfreebsd Glibc headers we get to bootstrap Debian,
> which is almost trivial but takes a really big lot of time (I enjoy
> playing human buildd myself, but after bootstrapping Debian twice it
> gets pretty scary ;)).

Sure, but we can work together on this to speed things.

> > If the machine is going to stay in Barcelona, we could setup a i386
> > now and replace later with the ia64 once we have it. Robert or me could
> > do the swap.
>
> I recall hearing that you had access to some good bandwidth at ub.edu,

I will have, at uab.es but we can plug only one machine, to put another
I would have to ask first.

> and Jordi (CCed) likewise but for SinDominio's network.

[ Hmmm, Bcc? I'll CC hime this time ;> ]

I recall Jordi saying the data-center was in Barcelona ? Would be easy
for Robert an me to reach.

> So unless Jordi beats us to death with his bandwidth it's fine for me =)

Yes I agree =P

regards,
guillem