[Glibc-bsd-devel] packages not available with apt-get

Héctor García Álvarez hector@debian.org
Fri, 31 Oct 2003 14:19:23 +0100

El vie, 31-10-2003 a las 12:27, Guischlouk escribió:
> > Do you mean "libc6", or "libc6-dev"? Teoricaly, only linux-gnu binary
> > packages should depend on "libc6". As for "libc6-dev" there's the common
> > error of hardcoding its dependency, and should be replaced by
> > "libc6-dev | libc-dev". Tell us the particular case you found if in doubt.
> >
> > > you have to take the
> > > glibc-bsd ?
> >
> > What do you mean with that?
>
> Someone to teach me ?

Ok, what Robert tells you here is that libc6 is linux only and it is
that way only for some compatibility reasons.
Really it uses glibc (version 2.3.2 at the moment on unstable) but it
calls the packages libc6.
In hurd, k*bsd and in any other kernel using glibc as the standard libc
lib there is not such historical compatibility problem, so we directly
use glibc (called libc1) instead of libc6
To fix the problems on packages too linux centric edit the
debian/control archive and change the build depend from libc6 to
libc6-dev | libc1-dev to allow the use of either one.
And in case there is a depend on libc6 you should change it to libc6 |
libc1
If you fix a package this way please remember to send a bug report to
the Debian maintainer you will be fixing the error for hurd and any
other non-linux kernel at the same time.

Regards,
--
Héctor García Álvarez <hector@debian.org>